circle.ch weblog by Urs Gehrig
22. April 2008
For reasons of simplicity the TIF files p00.tif to pXY.tif will get concatenated together to a single TIF file, that has the width of a single page and the height of XY pages. In such a way at least the order of the text or the text flow respectively will be preserved. But one could also concatenate a mosaic of all the TIF files. The density of 150 (dpi) gives reasonable results with tesseract.
03. October 2007LaTeX as outlined by Stefan Lagotzki . But a solution to apply more easy was needed. Imagemagick's "composite" does now the job quite well. Multipage PDF files have first to be split up and then being treated with composite as outlined below:
$ pdftk A=multipage.pdf cat A1 output multipage.1.pdf
The commandline below takes the singlepage PDF at a resolution of 300dpi and resizes it to a percentage and then glues it to the header page, which is of the size A4. Resizing ensures, that the header information is always visible above the included singlepage:
$ composite -density 300 multipage.1.pdf -resize 93% header.ps -compose bumpmap -gravity south out.pdf
The header page could look like shown below:
02. March 2007GmbH in Bern is looking for a web developer
Zur Unterstützung unseres jungen Teams bei Neuprojekten und Wartung/Erweiterung von bestehenden Lösungen suchen wir per sofort eine/n PHP Entwickler/in mit Pensum nach Vereinbarung, ca. 80-100%.More details can be found on their blog .
07. December 2005UltraSPARC T1 processor design [1,2]. Of course, it is a long way from Verilog to the final chip. But at least for Universities it is an intersting opportunity.
At the Ingenieurschule Biel we used to work with Verilog and VHDL  and then implemented alorightms and microprocessor cores etc. in FPGA chips, as it has e.g. been done for the the so called "Gecko" project . Verilog and FPGA are quite perfect for rapid prototyping and therefore of interest for research and development industries.
22. November 2005FairPlay code that he wrote for VLC. It is said, that Sony took some of that code to run their Sony DRM rootkit. Some more reading about copyright issues related to Sony BMG is available on Samuel Hocevars blog .
31. October 2005WW2D  is cross-platform, free and open-source application similar to NASA World Wind or Google Earth software. WW2D allows you to explore Earth using satellite imagery, topographic maps and image from other data sources also providing large placenames and boundaries database and allowing you to install community-made add-ons for even more information about our planet.
21. September 2005
OpenLaszlo is the leading open source platform for the development and delivery of rich Internet applications on the World Wide Web.Although I read the first time of it today, it looks promising, at least if I have a look at the demo applications  and the "Laszlo-in-10-minutes" introduction .
12. September 2005
12. August 2005NeMeSI. There are various other clients suggested too .
22. June 2005
19. May 2005
06. May 2005
Update - Nat Friedman's post on Beagle :
12. April 2005
05. April 2005
DNKA is a search tool for remote computers. It acts as a web server by interacting as a layer between Google Desktop Search (GDS) and the user. It allows other users to search, view and download your files, emails, chats and web history.Basically it is wonderful; you get a full search access to the indexed content of a remote computer. IMHO this application should be filed under "As long as You know what You are doing.". I tried it out in an intranet and got full access to the root drive C:\.
Then later on I found Baagle . The principle is similar to the above but the tools are different. Baagle is a set of Perl scripts wrapped around the search engine Swish-e. Baagle provides a standalone webserver and an indexer. But compared to GDS it is up to you to configure and restrict the indexing to the data directories of your desire.
If you like to figure out a similar solution with PHP have a look at the earlier mentioned nanoweb or nanoserv webserver built with PHP  and a Swish-e wrapper written in PHP . Once decided to go for Swish-e (on Windows) you need a couple of tools to handle various file mime types, among others pdftotext, ps2ascii, antiword and one that I found today to convert Excel files to text, called xlhtml. Just search.ch for them ;)
Well, now the only thing I could not find is a few lines of code to get a configurable search field to be integrated in the Windows task bar as we know it from GDS. Anyone up with a solution?
29. March 2005OpenGovernment Sprint in Bern and probably Switzerland is taking place by Thursday March 31st. It is organized by 4teamwork GmbH .
16. March 2005
15. March 2005
A PHP IDE that includes features for class browsing, ftp support, snippets, debugging and project management. The Open Source version of Maguma Studio. http://sourceforge.net/projects/openstudio/
16. February 2005
10. February 2005